Increased Productivity and Efficiency in Software Test Automation for the Department of Health and Human Services
Leidos, formerly known as Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), is a FORTUNE 500® science and technology solutions leader working to address some of the world's toughest challenges in national security, health and engineering. The Company's 21,000 employees support vital missions for our government and the commercial sector, develop innovative solutions to drive better outcomes and defend our Nation's digital and physical infrastructure from 'new world' threats. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $5.77 billion for its fiscal year ended January 31, 2014 after giving effect to the spin-off of the company's technical services and information technology business.
Leidos is supporting several projects with the Department of Health and Human Services as part of its Health Services contracts. These projects and others require more than 2,000 test cases. Leidos is providing development, operations, maintenance, and enhancement support for these programs and provides ongoing regression testing on these systems. It was critical for the Leidos team to have a cost-effective solution that was easy to install and configure, scaled out of the box, provided cross-browser and cross-environment testing, and did not require any significant knowledge of coding or scripting.
These Leidos projects included 160 applications written on a variety of different technologies including, but not limited to, .NET and Java technology stacks. Some of the test servers for these projects were available over the Internet, while others were not. Leidos had testers with various skillsets but preferred a solution that did not require extensive technical experience so that its testers could focus on providing subject matter expertise rather than spending time learning proprietary programming language to conduct automated testing.
After evaluating several test automation COTS products in the market, the Leidos team decided to pilot Subject7's platform for a few months. Subject7 made the necessary enhancements to its offerings to better support Leidos and its clients. The Leidos Health team later established its Testing Excellence Center and standardized on Subject7 as its primary automation tool. Subject7 trained the Leidos Health team and provided support throughout this timeframe.
Subject7's solution provided these core features and capabilities:
- Deployed as Software as a Service (SaaS) with no installation is necessary and seamless upgrades.
- No technical knowledge or scripting experience needed.
- Data-driven testing, out-of-the-box.
- Scalable through the power of its cloud backbone -- eliminates the need to maintain different combinations of operating systems, browsers, and versions.
- Portable exports on demand, using industry standards such as Selenium 2, xPath, and regular expressions.
- Cost-effective and grows with Leidos on an as-needed basis.
The Leidos team experienced the following results, using Subject7:
- Productivity went up by more than 90%.
- Provided 42% savings in test automation resources.
- Helped Leidos pursue additional opportunities.